December 6, 2012

Experiment # 2 -- Watering Methods

Experiment #2 is a Watering Methods Comparison: Four plants of no-name double pink (supposed to be Saint Paul, and looks to be some other unknown Harrington variety), all planted in my usual mix of 1 1/2 parts peat moss, 1 part vermiculite, 1 part perlite.
The top left is planted in a plastic pot, and will be watered from the bottom. The top right plant is potted true Texas Style, and will be watered with 'Visual Replacement', ie: when the water level in saucer is gone, slight 1/4 to 1/2 inch will be added.
Bottom left is on a self-water that I made, with felt as the 'wick'. Bottom right is also potted in my usual mix, with a piece of acrylic yarn through the pot and into the watering reservoir.
 
NOTE:  I did not change my 'usual soil recipe' to use with the acrylic wick!  ?????

1 comment:

Debbie S. said...

Observation so far: The clay pot with the 'real dirt' and the reservoir with the felt mat/wick both needed watering a day earlier than the rest. I can see it: the clay pot evaporates more moisture from the mix, and the wick would also evaporate water into the air around the pot, which should be good for both plants! :)