It is amazing what 2 weeks can do.... when the plants have elbow room! After repotting, and grooming my 'mama' violets, I put all 40 back on the two lighted shelves. I knew I HAD to put up a third light fixture, but I was busy.....
MILDEW came! Our Montana nights are becoming cold, and yet the house is warm on the days the sun shines.... SO.... ideal mildew situation: warm days and cool nights. There was probably a 15 degree difference. Combine that with the crowded conditions, and I began to see a few spots of mildew on several leaves.
Since I want to have some of these plants for display/demonstration during the upcoming houseplant class, I went to work. All the plants' leaves got a firm washing under running warm water. Then trays, shelves and plants were misted, quite heavily, with Lysol disinfecting spray.
Forgot to add that I put up a third light above the original two.
(tFirst photo shows top and middle shelves. Second photos shows middle and bottom shelves.)
Since this stand is in our master bathroom, I ran the ceiling exhaust for at least 6 hours a day.
It has been 8 days, and no new sign of mildew, but as soon as I take some of the plants to the first houseplant class this week, I will mist everything again with the Lysol spray. It does have a tendency to spot the blooms, so will wait until after they have had their beauty show.